Testimonials from other Green Zone Institute programs:
While I came for the professional skills, I’m seeing big changes to my personal life as well.
Wonderful tools for every aspect of our daily lives.
I found myself stopping the video and replaying it numerous times, trying to listen deeply to all the interesting and revealing information.
Great experiential skills that could be used right now. Very realistic.
I want and need to explore my questions and communication and this has given me valuable tools for the journey…
Wonderful and powerful!
The sense of trust, kindness, discipline, open-heart, honesty, curiosity, generosity, support and joy that is present, makes doing “the work” incredibly potent, meaningful and beneficial.
Highly profound and practical tools.
I feel like huge negative patterns have been lifted from my life.
…I left with an open mind, open heart and a full toolbox. Thank you!
THIS PROGRAM WILL NOT BEGIN REGISTRATION UNTIL MAY 1. If you’d like to be informed when registration is available, please join our mailing list at this link.
Green Zone Institute is proud to announce our second year of our advanced online program. This unique online experience allows those with a basic background to go much further into these important teachings. This course aims to train “Green Zone leaders” to take the Green Zone model out into a world which is very much in need of a “social safety net.” In this course, Green Zone Institute Director and Senior Teacher Greg Heffron will train a close cohort of participants to develop the skills to facilitate others as well as uncovering genuine transformative insight within their own experience.
As anyone knows who might consider this course, the aim of Mindful Communication is an approach to our world which accepts all experiences—pleasurable, painful, surprising, or soothing—as a chance to reconnect with our own Green Light human nature. We live in a world which needs this right now. You can be part of this revolutionary approach. With a skill set that makes its way into your body, heart and mind, this course aims to develop participants to become “change agents” in any moment, from the personal to the communal to the political.
- Two events/courses (live or online)
- having read The Five Keys to Mindful Communication
Schedule and Time Commitment
90 minute lectures will be on Thursdays in North America (9am PST/12pm EST) and Europe (6pm CET). This course will require 5-10hrs of student time per week (including lectures and green zones), depending on the participant’s interest and participation in exercises, meditations and other activities.
Online weekly 90min group “Green Zone” participation will also be a requirement. The schedule of Green Zones will be determined by the Green Zones themselves. The number of time options for Green Zones will be determined by the number of overall students in the course and their schedules.
Missing Lectures and Green Zones
We understand that due to travel and life complications, students might miss as much as 50% of the lectures and Green Zones. (All will be video recorded to view at a later time.) To certify one as a Green Zone Leader, we ask for participants to attend 50% or more of scheduled events.
Full Price in 2019 will be US$1995
Two Payment Options
30% Deposit — pay a 30% deposit + 10% e-billed payments every month
Full Amount — paying 100% allows a 25% discount (US$1496).
Further 10% Discount for Registration by August 1
Those that register by Aug 1 will get an additional 10% discount.
Participation in the course does not guarantee certification to lead Green Zone Groups (Tier 2 certification). While our basic trainings don’t demand strong participation, our Green Zone Leader program aims to cultivate real leaders. If attendance isn’t sufficient, the student may be asked to return the following year for further certification. Also, the course leader Greg Heffron will offer quizzes and feedback throughout the course, including suggestions about Green Zone facilitation (each student will get two chances to facilitate their group). Feedback will be aimed at helping develop stronger skills — including one-on-one sessions if it’s helpful. If a student isn’t demonstrating sufficient understanding of the approach, certification may be delayed and further training suggested.
To apply, scroll to the bottom of this page, or follow the link to the application page.
Special Mailing List
If you’d like to be added to a special mailing list for updates on the Green Zone Leaders program, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “SUBSCRIBE.”
- weekly 90min live session: recorded for those who cannot attend live, includes meditation, lecture, exercises and Q&A
- new/unpublished manuscript: Susan Chapman and Greg Heffron’s new manuscript “The Mindful Heart” as textbook
- live green zone groups: (1X per week) to work with the material in our daily lives, both to deeper our experience, and also to understand/study the dynamics of running groups
- certification: if a student successfully completes the 8 month course, they are a ‘Tier2 — Green Zone Leader’, meaning that you can facilitate a green zone group.
- components: solitary, group and partner exercises, journaling, quizzes (including one-on-one with teachers), readings, nature activities, creative/art assignments, forum discussions, mudra space awareness.
The Three Lights, The Natural Communication System, The Cycles of Mindless-Heart and Heartless-Mind, The Mandala of the Five Yellow Lights, The Mindful-Heartful Cycles, The Four Stages of Heartlessess and their Interruptions, The Four Stages of Contempt and their Interruptions, The Four Seasons of Relationship, The Four Yellow Light Disappointments, The Four Red Light Misconceptions, The Four Stages of Ruthlessness and their Interruptions, The Four Stages of Exclusion and their Interruptions… And More…
Month 1 -The Three Lights
- week 1 – “The Green Light”
- Basic Goodness
- The Green Light and challenges
- The Green Light and Self-Trust
- The Green Light and Genuine Pleasure
- Going Beyond Hesitation (Doubt)
- week 2 – “The Red Light”
- The Mechanisms of Shutting Down
- The Creation of Duality
- Meeting the Brick Wall (“Stop When the Light is Red”)
- week 3 – “The Yellow Light”
- Liminal States (“between this and that”)
- The Raw Energy of Anxiety
- The Roots of Self-Attack
- week 4 – “The Three Light System”
- The Three Lights Within Ourselves, Moment-by-Moment
- The Three Lights With Another, Moment-by-Moment
- Systems Theory & the Play of the Three Lights in Communities
Month 2 – Mindful Presence (Solitude vs. Shutting Down)
- week 1 – Mindfulness and Awareness
- Mindfulness – the “directionality” of mind
- Awareness – Growing Out of Stability
- The Union of Mindfulness and Awareness
- Non duality in Mindful Presence
- week 2 – Awareness of Awake Body
- What Do We Know That’s Not From the Body?
- “Psychosomatic body”
- Going Beyond Hesitation with the Body
- week 3 – Awareness of Tender Heart
- Emotional Imprint vs. Living Emotion
- The Green/Yellow/Red Lights of Naming Our Emotions
- The “Sixth Sense” of our Emotional Faculties
- week 4 – Awareness of Open Mind
- Genuine Curiosity
- Basic Logic and Open Mind
- Observing Our Mental Contents
- Holding an Open Mind
Month 3 – Mindful Listening (Encouragement vs. Mindless Contempt)
- week 1 – Genuinely Worthy
- The “Pure Gold” of Basic Goodness
- The Practice of “Totality”
- Living Hospitality (inviting in everyone/everything)
- week 2 – The Four Stages of Exaggeration
- Dualistic concepts of worth
- The See Saw Pattern
- The Four Stages of Contempt
- week 3 – Leadership and Guidance
- Lids and Flowers (cultivating inherent worth in others and ourselves)
- Recognizing innate qualities as Basic Goodness
- week 4 – The Antidotes to The Four Stages of Contempt
Month 4 – Mindful Speech (Mirroring vs. Heartless Mind)
- week 1 – Truth as Medicine
- Accuracy as kindness
- Being Willing to Be a Fool
- Proper Boundaries (the camera lens approach)
- week 2 – The Four Stages of Heartlessness
- week 3 – Neither Exaggerating Nor Suppressing
- Beyond the Truth – identifying added projections
- Solidifying the Object of Projections
- Suppressing the Truth – Hesitating With Our Insights
- Changing Truth in the Present Moment
- week 4 – The Antidotes to The Four Stages of Heartlessness
- Awake Body as antidote for Complaint/Silencing
- Tender Heart as antidote for Divisiveness
- Open Mind as antidote for Blaming
- An Awake Attitude Towards “Peace & Reconciliation” (antidote to Retaliation)
Month 5 – Mindful Relationship (Unconditional Friendliness vs. Mindless Heart)
- week 1 – Unconditional Warmth and Celebrating Difference
- The Living “Mirage” of Relationship
- Relationship and Discernment
- Becoming a “Connoisseur” of Connection
- week 2 – The Four Stages of Mindless Heart
- Emotional hunger
- Freezing an Object of Joy
- Giving Power Away
- week 3 – The Power Lines of Relationship
- Feeling connection vs. manufacturing connection
- Feeling Closeness Includes Feeling Distance
- The Living Paradox of Closeness
- Boundaries vs. Barriers
- week 4 – The Antidotes to the Four Stages of Mindless Heart
Month 6 – The Four Seasons of Relationship
- week 1 – Green Light – The Four Seasons of Relationship
- Winter (solitude)
- Spring (joy)
- Summer (intimacy)
- Fall (pain)
- week 2 – Red Light – The Four Seasons
- Conditional Love (Romanticism)
- Conditional Joy (Fantasy of Endless Pleasure)
- Conditional Intimacy (Fantasy of Endless Togetherness)
- Conditional Compassion (“Let Me Fix Your Pain”)
- week 3 – Yellow Light – The Four Seasons and Their Disappointment
- Love Includes Loss
- Joy and Impermanence
- The Limits of Intimacy/Sharing
- Boundaries Prevent Harm
- week 4 – Following The Seasons in Everyday Life
- The Turning of ‘the Wheel of Relationship’
- Feeling the Natural Flow
- “The Floating World”
Month 7 – Mindful Responses (Responsiveness vs. Ruthlessness)
- week 1 – Surfing the Wave of Coincidence in Nowness
- Panoramic Awareness and Opportunity
- Intuition and Responsiveness
- week 2 – The Four Seasons of Ruthlessness
- week 3 – Transcending Hesitation
- Hesitation as Self Deception
- Activating Compassion
- Going Beyond Hesitation Means Going Beyond Talking
- week 4 – The Antidotes to the Four Seasons of Ruthlessness
Month 8 – Relational Meditation in Green Zones
- week 1 – Personal Green Zones
- Wholesome/Wakeful Activities
- ‘Tuning’ the Activity with Mindfulness
- week 2 – Green Zone Structures
- Talking Circles
- Focus on Individual Stories (Yellow Light Narratives)
- Personal Autobiographies
- Creative Structures
- week 3 – Facilitating the Group
- Dealing with Crosstalk
- Personality Conflicts
- Outside Relationships/Problems
- Going Beyond Conventional ‘Relating’ (Beyond the ‘Personal’)
- week 4 – Leadership and Responsibility
- Ethical Guidelines for Green Zone Facilitators
- If Someone is Struggling (Small Village Approach)
- If Someone is Causing Harm/Asking Someone to Exit the Green Zone
To register for the 8-month Green Zone Leader online intensive program, please fill out our program application and pay the $25 nonrefundable fee.